Congratulations! You’re pregnant!
Nutrition and diet are important in all stages of pregnancy. You might have lots of nutrition questions right now and what to expect in the future. This is the time for nourishment and finding time for self-care.
Diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes or have Diabetes?
Beve has additional training as a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) and is a member of the American Association of Diabetes Educators.
There are “critical periods” during pregnancy and a Nutritionist who is also a Registered Dietitian (RDN) can work with your existing health care team and provide support and advice every step of the way.
- You should take a high-quality prenatal vitamin and mineral supplement along with a concentrated “DHA” omega-3 fat supplement throughout your pregnancy and after pregnancy.
- Most women also need to take a Vitamin D3 supplement during pregnancy, especially during the non-summer months. Vitamin D3 supplements should not be self-prescribed. You need lab testing to determine your “baseline” levels for supplementing.
- You may need extra iron during your pregnancy. Beve can recommend higher iron foods and how to optimize your iron absorption. Your doctor may also prescribe an iron supplement. Beve can help with a supplement schedule.
- As part of your healthcare team, Beve will monitor your nutritional health to keep you and your baby on track through healthy snacks, beverages and meal plans designed just for you.
This is no time for low-carb diets or carb binges!
Women should consume a minimum of 175 grams of carbohydrates a day to meet the baby’s brain requirements for fuel. If your carbohydrate foods drop too low, your body will produce waste products called “ketones” that can make you nauseated and are not healthy for you or your baby. Eating a high-carb diet can raise your blood sugar and contribute to cravings. Beve can guide you in meeting your “optimal” carb needs with both healthy and delicious foods, snacks and beverages. Get your diet and nutrition supplements evaluated – call 206-920-7676 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment to get started.
What will you learn at your first nutrition appointment?
- Optimal protein, carbohydrate and fat requirements.
- How much water to consume and beverages to limit or avoid.
- The best “essential fats” PLUS vitamin and mineral supplementation during pregnancy.
- Food safety issues with simple steps to avoid food poisoning and the “24-hour flu.”
- How foods can help manage common health problems during pregnancy.
- Special diets can be discussed and planned!
Discover Articles by Beve Kindblade:
Remember the Orignial Chia Pets™? Sprout chia seeds on a water-soaked clay figure shaped like a puppy or pig or an elephant and wait for the fun! Chia pets are still with us and chia seeds have been making a come back as another plant source of omega-3 fats. Chia...
Are you exhausted and have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning? Do you ever feel nauseated or light-headed after waking up or getting up out of a chair? Have you ever felt like you have "altitude" sickness at sea level? Do you ever find yourself...
Okay! You really love those nutrition labels found on your favorite foods? Right? Confused about what to look for? Let's keep it simple! You really need to look at 3 pieces of information on the food label - protein, fiber and sugars? You are already looking at the...