“Healthy” & Happy Pregnancy
Congratulations! You’re pregnant!
Nutrition and diet are important in all stages of pregnancy. You might have lots of nutrition questions right now and what to expect in the future. This is the time for nourishment and finding time for self-care.
Diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes or have Diabetes?
No worries! Beve has additional training as a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) and can help you get your fasting blood sugar down quickly and safely to desired levels!
There are “critical periods” during pregnancy and a Nutritionist who is also a Registered Dietitian (RDN) can work with your existing health care team and provide support and advice every step of the way.
- You should take a high-quality prenatal vitamin and mineral supplement along with a concentrated “DHA” omega-3 fat supplement throughout your pregnancy and after pregnancy.
- Most women also need to take a Vitamin D3 supplement during pregnancy, especially during the non-summer months. Vitamin D3 supplements should not be self-prescribed. You need lab testing to determine your “baseline” levels for supplementing.
- You may need extra iron during your pregnancy. Beve can recommend higher iron foods and how to optimize your iron absorption. Your doctor may also prescribe an iron supplement. Beve can help with a supplement schedule.
- As part of your healthcare team, Beve will monitor your nutritional health to keep you and your baby on track through healthy snacks, beverages and meal plans designed just for you.
This is no time for Keto, Paleo, Low-carb diets or Carb binges!
Women should consume a minimum of 135 grams – 175 grams of carbohydrates a day to meet the baby’s brain requirements for fuel. If your carbohydrate foods drop too low, your body will produce waste products called “ketones” that can make you nauseated and are not healthy for you or your baby. Eating a high-carb diet can raise your blood sugar and contribute to cravings. Beve can guide you in meeting your “optimal” carb needs with both healthy and delicious foods, snacks and beverages. Get your diet and nutrition supplements evaluated – call 206-920-7676 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment to get started.
What will you learn at your first nutrition appointment?
- Optimal protein, carbohydrate and fat requirements.
- How much water to consume and beverages to limit or avoid.
- The best “essential fats” PLUS vitamin and mineral supplementation during pregnancy and after labor and delivery.
- Food safety issues with simple steps to avoid food poisoning and the “24-hour flu.”
- How foods can help manage common health problems during pregnancy.
- Special diets can be discussed and easily planned!
Discover Articles by Beve Kindblade, MS, RDN, CD:
Health insurance companies and state departments of licensing for healthcare providers require a credentialing process where healthcare professionals must prove their education, training and continuing education requirements before the provider is deemed "legitimate"...
Everyone is so freaked about the cholesterol in foods these days - and for the past 30+ years. But does cholesterol actually do anything for us that is GOOD? Sure, your own body makes about 1000 milligrams of the stuff everyday because you need it to survive and be...
So what do dark chocolate (70+% cacao), raw almonds, fresh fruits and vegetables (organic or locally grown preferred), garlic, fatty fish (salmon, halibut, sardines) and a glass of red wine (or dark purple grape juice) all have in common? According to recent research,...